Thursday, September 11, 2008

Family of Three

I'm pretty slow at updates on our blog. Kinsey and I are still trying to get in the groove and we're missing her daddy like crazy as he's been working nights all week (which means sleeping all day too).

So we were released from the hospital on Labour Day (Monday), but the very next day I landed myself back in the hospital. Tuesday evening I was going to have a nap while Kinsey hung out with Tim and my mom (Mama). But then my heart started racing.

I think I told you before about how I have that stupid heart condition called SVT where for no reason at all my heart speeds up. Usually it lasts only 15-30 seconds and then will stop racing. But this time it wouldn't slow. So off to the ER we went.

My heart was 236 bpm. Fun eh? The doctor tried a bunch of different ways to get my heart to slow. Nothing worked. It probably didn't help that I could hear Kinsey outside of the ER calling for her Mommy. While the doctors consulted, Mom brought Kinsey in to me and it took Mom, Tim, and I all together to get her to nurse while I was hooked up to an IV and had cords and tubes strapped all over me. It was quite the process. But she ate and then Mama left with her again. Once again Trent, Tara, and Blake showed up -- Tim and Trent administered to me again.

Two doctors came in to administer a drug to me. It is one terrible drug. The doctor injects it in my arm and then follows it with a chaser. The whole time I'm awake. The drug goes in...and BAM it stops my heart (yep I flat line), and then the drug wears off and my heart is supposed to start back up at a normal rate. My heart stops for about 7 seconds. Well first try didn't work and it's such a terrible feeling having your heart stop when you're awake. Not painful...just terrible. Kinda heavy. Does that make sense? So the doctor's doubled the dose and we did it again. And it worked!!

I'm so glad the drug worked this time cuz last time my SVT was super bad (3 years ago) the drug didn't work and they ended up having to put me asleep and then use the paddles on me to restart my heart. Now that is painful! Every muscle in my body was sore for days.

Well now we're home again (I was released later that night). And it's so wonderful having Kinsey home with us. What a blessing she is in our lives. No one could ever explain or put in words the love a mommy has for her baby. Kinsey is our world, our everything. I have no clue how Tim and I ever existed without her. I thank my Heavenly Father daily for sending her to us.

Kinsey's First Walk:
Sep5.08_Kinsey's First Walk (5)
Kinsey - One Week Old:
Sep6.08_Kinsey One Week Old (25)
Kinsey's First Time To Church:
Sep7.08_Kinsey's First Church (2)


Carrie said...

Oh my goodness! How terrifying! I bet that's really hard for Tim! I'm sooo glad that you are doing better- I pray and hope that it continues that way! Kinsey is just beautiful and you are looking great!

Tim & Ashlee Nilsson said...

Oh yes! Very scarey for my family to watch me have an "episode". Because it doesn't hurt (my chest just feels super tight) it doesn't really scare me. But it was super hard for Tim and my mom to watch me.

Kendall & Julie Allred said...

Oh Ash I remember the first time oh soo well, I was soo scared for you. I am glad they didn't have to use the paddles this time. You are soo strong, what an example. Luv all 3 of ya=)

Skye and Aaron said...

I can't believe they actually have to stop your heart. How scary! I'm glad you're doing better and can enjoy every second with that sweet little girl!!!

moosh in indy. said...

Dude, so you were dead and totally awake for it?
236? I've been at 160 before and thought I was going to EXPLODE.